I’m fresh off the boat from 9 magical days in New Zealand and instead of cheap souvenirs, I’ve got a game changing business strategy for you:
Grab a big 12 month calendar and map out all the holidays you want to take, aim for 8 – 12 weeks. Block out:
- the overseas holidays
- the local holidays
- the school holidays
- the summer beach camping trips
- the long weekends that coincide with a public holiday
- the long weekends that don’t coincide with a public holiday (c’mon you are a business owner after all!)
- the birthday celebrations
- the weddings
- personal and professional development courses
- business planning weekends – working ON your business, not IN
Once you’re done, tell us in the comments below where on earth you’re heading in the next 12 months (I want some inspiration!)
The back story on why holidays and travel is good for business …
This is an inspirational process and will do wonders for you as a business owner.
Most people plan out their holidays around their work.
They hope there will be some spare time and money leftover for holidays each year.
But the problem is, there never seems to be enough time or money leftover!
And sadly another year goes by with no time for play… Sad face emoji
What a shame, seeing as how big & beautiful the world is.
The successful business people I know plan their work around their holidays, and I too have been doing it for the last 12 years.
Plan the year ahead by blocking out at least 8 – 12 weeks of holiday time.
Work out where you want to go.
Work out how much you need to save.
And then reverse engineer your business to fund the lifestyle you want to live.
Why is this important?
- Light at the end of the tunnel.
The business journey is tough at times, long days, late nights, weekends. You’re almost always ‘ON’. Knowing there is some downtime on the horizon can do wonders for your subconscious and allows you to focus intensely on the task at hand.
- Work life balance.
Your family and friends will know when they can enjoy some good quality time out with you.
If they know there is a good 10 weeks of planned holidays, they won’t worry so much if you have to work late or work through a weekend here and there.
- Holidays give you time to think.
I have my best ideas when on holiday! I’m a big picture type thinker and getting out of the office (and sometimes the country) gives me some precious time to THINK BIG, THINK LONG TERM, THINK RADICAL IMPACT.
- Holidays ensure you have deadlines.
Have you ever noticed how much you get done the week before, you take 2 weeks off to go camping on Stradbroke island with limited wifi or reception?
You somehow move mountains so you can switch off and enjoy the trip.
You find a way to make it happen.
That’s the power of putting holidays first.
Since my first real overseas holiday at the end of year 12, I’ve been able to –
- Salsa in the streets of Cuba
- Find spiritual sanctuary with the sharmans of India
- Volunteer in remote communities in Mexico, Brazil & Africa
- Follow Carnival street processions in Rio De Janeiro
- Eat the freshest sushi in the fish markets of Japan
- Snorkel the Blue Hole in Belize
- Ride elephants through the jungle in Sri Lanka
- Endure nude Sauna in Sweden
- Speak at an International Conference in Maui, Hawaii
- Sip the finest Madeira Wine in Portugal
- Get Bali Belly, Delhi Belly & Port Moresby Belly…
- Follow the ancient INCA trail to Machu Picchu
- Scoff pizza and beer in New York
All while building a successful investment portfolio and multiple businesses.
In fact, it was those priceless experiences that fuelled my own entrepreneur journey, and I’m confident that TRAVEL will do the same for you.
I truly believe it when they say,
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”
But how do business owners fund their Big Goals – like 8 to 12 weeks a year holiday?
They Become a Cash Rich Business.
Here’s the process –
- Put Your Profit First – A percentage of every dollar that comes in, goes first to your profit war chest.
- Every quarter, 50% of your Profit War Chest goes to –
- 50% to Building a nest egg – I invest in cashflow producing assets like Shares, Property (Residential & Commercial) & Precious metals.
- 50% Spreading your wings – You can drive that new car, enjoy regular holidays, eat out, drink that nice bottle of wine etc.
- Enjoy the holiday. Recharge. Open your eyes to the world. Be present with your family.
- Build a better business. Going on holiday leaves room for your team to make decisions and helps you see the gaps in your business systems and where the business still depends on YOU. Fix it.
You can use the code ‘wanderlust’ to get $10 off the next Become a Cash Rich Business [Workshop] – A short course in cashflow acceleration for small business owners who love family but not numbers. The CRB method will help you rapidly get on top of debt, start to amass a rainy day fund and worry less about the ups and downs of cashflow – RSVP at inspireca.com/events.
So where are you going in the next Financial Year?
Share your travel plans with me and the rest of the Inspiring Business Community here.